Spring is here, which means it’s asparagus and citrus season! Looking for something to combine those two things? Then look no further than this. You can pick up asparagus from the farmer’s market for super cheap, along with an orange and lemon for cheap, and with the juices they release while roasting, combined with the butter and olive oil here, and the end result is pure amazingness. Hell, you could also probably do this well on a grill.
- 1 lb asparagus, ends trimmed (original recipe recommends two bunches, may try it with 2 lbs next time)
- 1 lemon, sliced thin
- 1 blood orange, sliced thin (I used tarocco, because it was on sale, cara cara and clementines also work)
- 4 T butter, split into 1 T pieces
- 2 T olive oil
- .5 c grated parmigiano-reggiano (or parmesan)
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Preheat your oven to 400. Take your lemon and orange slices, and asparagus, and lay it together on a foil-lined sheet pan. Drizzle the olive oil over it, and layer the butter slices on top of it, while sprinkling with the parmigiano-reggiano, sea salt, and pepper.
Place in the oven and roast for 25 minutes, tossing occasionally, until your asparagus is tender, and ever so slightly charred. And then, enjoy the citrusy asparagus goodness!