Looking for a quick dinner to throw together in under a half hour – or, if you’re me, the night before you roll out to a vacation you only just got approved for the day before? Or for something super simple? Or super cheap? Or summery feeling? Really, you can’t go wrong with this. I didn’t quite have all the ingredients for this, or follow the directions exactly, but it still worked out pretty damn well, I’d say.
- 1 lb spaghetti (if you can find pot-sized spaghetti, it’s going to help lots)
- sea salt
- 3 lemons, zested and juiced (about .5 c lemon juice)
- .25 c olive oil
- .25 c heavy whipping cream (I tried to substitute just milk, forgot to add melted butter to thicken it, whoops)
- .5 c grated Parmesan cheese (or parmigiano reggiano, if you have it on hand)
- fresh ground black pepper
- dried Greek oregano
Heavily salt your water, bring to a boil, and cook according to your pasta’s directions. While the water comes to a boil/the pasta cooks, zest and juice your lemons.
Once the pasta’s done, drain your pasta, but retain about 1.5 c of pasta cooking water (I didn’t do this. whoops.) Take the same pot you made the pasta in, dry it out, and then boil the olive oil, whipping cream, lemon zest, and 1 c of the reserved cooking water together for two minutes. Return your drained pasta to the pot, and toss until completely coated. Add the cheese and lemon juice back in, and toss to coat completely again, adding in a bit of extra sea salt, pepper, and the oregano, if you’re so inclined.
And then, enjoy your simple, citrusy, summery pasta!