I made this on a whim for breakfast for the week. Two observations from making this. One, in doubling the meat, I probably should’ve also doubled the cheese (I added three more eggs). Ah well, now I know for next time (and trust me, there will definitely be a next time). Two: while good on its own, this can also go into a pita (or, likely, a tortilla or taco) for a good breakfast sandwich.
Breakfast Queso Fundido
Lasts about 7 days’ worth of breakfast
- .5 lb chorizo, casings removed (I used the two links of lamb chorizo I picked up at the meat market down the street from where I work, closer to 14 oz overall)
- 1 small onion, diced (should’ve diced it smaller)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten (I used closer to 7)
- 1 c monterey jack cheese, shredded (should’ve used closer to double that, used a sun dried tomato basil monterey jack I got from the farmer’s market)
Take your chorizo and add it to a pan over medium heat. Use a spatula to break it apart as it cooks, and let it cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, until it starts to break down further. Add your onion, jalapeno, and tomato, and cook for another 5 to 7 mins, until your onion is soft, tender, and almost translucent. Add your garlic, and cook another minute, until the garlic smells really good.
Add in your eggs, and cook them scrambled style, until they’re just barely set (about four minutes). Then add in your cheese, and stir it in, cooking another 2 to 3 minutes until it’s melted. If you have some, sprinkle some cilantro on top (I forgot mine, derp).
And then, enjoy your ridiculously cheesy eggs!